Thursday, October 25, 2007


Dear Pen Pals,
My name is Erin Hameroff, and I’m a freshman at the University of Arizona in Tucson. I grew up in Tucson, now living in a dorm about fifteen minutes away from my childhood house. I have an older brother who goes to school in North Carolina, and he is studying in Spain for the semester. Although I am not in a sorority, I am involved with the University of Arizona’s Hillel foundation, which is the Jewish foundation that supports Jewish college students. Hillel gives Jewish students a sense of community, a place to meet similar college students, and somewhere to just hang out between classes. I eat lunch their everyday before Hebrew with different friends.
The first word that comes to my mind when I think of my dorm is “noisy”. 24/7 there are people talking, hanging out and listening to music. It is very hard to study and get work done in my room, because the walls and doors are so thin, I can hear people down my all at all hours of the day. My dorm is made up of nine floors, with fifty rooms on each floor, and two people in each room. Each floor is a lot like a hotel room, it is always very clean, unlike most people’s rooms. In the picture above, is a bunch of my friends in the dorm I live in.
When you open the door to my room, there are two small closets on the right, and a bathroom that I share with another two girls on the left. Once you walk past the closets, there is one big desk on the left, with two spots for chairs. On my desk I put up a ton of pictures of my friends, along with all my school supplies and books. I also have my name in wooden block letters on my desk. Right across from the desk is my bed, and on the wall right next to my bed I have all my jewelry on a corkboard, and a collage of pictures that my friend made me before school started. On the border near the ceiling, my roommate and I decided to hang pink and purple string on each wall and then clip photos all around the room to give the room a border. All of my decorations along with my roommate’s decorations has made the dorm pretty cozy and “homey”. We have a television on top of the desks, so we can both see it. We have a very small refrigerator and microwave underneath my roommates bed, along with a bin full of all kinds of snacks.
My favorite part about living in the dorm and going to school is all the new people I get to meet. Not including the 900 kids living in my dorm, I have tons of students in my classes, at Hillel, and around campus as well. It has given me so many options of what kind of people I choose to hang out with, and there is so much more variety in kids. So far, college has been a blast.

What is your school like? How many students? What do you do for fun there? What is your favorite part about school? Where do you live and what is it like?
Hope this gives you a glimpse of college life in America!
Erin

No comments: