Monday, October 22, 2007

Hi from Tucson!



Hello, my name is Jessie Frank, I am 18 years old, and this is my first year in college at the University of Arizona. The picture of the A is the University of Arizona ‘A’, which is usually found on shirts and sweaters here. The cat is a wildcat, and is the school mascot.
Going to college was a big change from my high school. One major difference was all the time outside of class I had. In high school I went to class from 8am until 3pm, and had very little free time during the week. However, in college, I go to class for 3-6 hours per day, with the rest of my time spent outside of classes. During my free time, I usually relax and watch TV shows or read books. I also surf the internet a lot. However, most of my free time is used studying. I will study about 2-3 hours per day for my hardest classes like Biology.
Of course, college isn’t just about studying! I also joined a club that I was interested in, it only meets once a week so it fits into my schedule very well. I am meeting new people through this club, as well as in my classes by forming study groups. I was lucky enough to have a few friends come to the UA with me, so I hang out with them a few times a week. We will usually go out for lunch or dinner, or just hang out, watch movies, and chat. My weekends are either spent hanging out and working on homework, or visiting my parents in my home city of Phoenix. Since I only live two hours away from home, I will usually carpool up with friends and spend a weekend there. While I’m in Phoenix, I will meet up with some of my friends that are still in high school and catch up on events. I also tell them about college and what they should expect.
At first, I thought college would be a little overwhelming, but I find it really manageable and a lot better than high school! I really like the idea that you can pick your own classes, class times, and professors! Because of this, I make sure that I have time in between my classes so I can relax, and that I don’t have classes too late on Fridays!
I also thought that living in a dorm would be really horrible. The experience I have had so far in living in a dorm has been great. The people in my hall are really courteous to other residents and don’t really yell and scream all night. The worst part about dorm life, that I expected, would be the community bathrooms. However, they really aren’t that bad! The showers are small, but there’s always hot water! All in all, college, for me, has been an awesome experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your college years, I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that but it's true! I went to college for 3 yrs before I finally dropped out to spend more time with my son. I constantly plan to go back, but it just hasn't happened yet. Enjoy this time, it's a learning experience in every sense of the word!