Friday, October 26, 2007

My life at UofA!


Hi! My name is Ashley Thibault and I am a Freshman at the University of Arizona. I live on campus in the dorms and I love it! I am living with my best friend from elementary school we didn’t go to high school together but we stayed really good friends so we decided to room together. They say don’t room with your best friend, but it is actually working out really well. We live in Apache/Santa Cruz and it is a smaller dorm and our room is quite small but it actually is not that bad. Everyone said I was going to go crazy living in the dorms because it is so loud and hard to study and stuff but really it is not that bad at all. I actually enjoy it! We live in an all girls wing with 15 other girls and our room is way cute. The worst part about dorm life is doing the dishes because we do them in the bathroom sink and neither of us ever want to do them so they just pile up! We got really lucky and we are in a wing that is pretty quiet and even if I want to go to bed way early I can because it is not noisy at all. It is so so nice.
The food on campus is pretty good, there is a pretty good variety but it still gets kinda old. I live about 2 hours away from school so when I do come home and have a home cooked meal it is the best thing ever! Do you live on campus where you go to school? What are your dorms like and what is the food like there? We have this place called Highland Market across the street from my dorm and it is so good. There is a deli and you can tell them how to make any sandwich you want, they have breakfast burritos every morning and night (which by the way are fantastic) they also have your basic groceries and best of all, Seattle Espresso which is a coffee place. I love it because you can use your meal plan card here. A meal plan is basically how you buy all of your meals here. We have a CatCard and you use it for everything (to get into your dorm, to do laundry, vending machines and meals) there is money that my parents on each semester and it just works like a debit card and you pay for all of your on-campus meals that way. Do you guys have something like this at your school, it seems like every university here does it a little different but it basically does the same thing.
I don’t have my own car on campus, but my roommate Lindsey does and out really good friend does and he gave me his spare key so I can use his car whenever (which is so wonderful and it is a really nice car I love it!). But you don’t really need to use your car on campus only when you would want to go somewhere else in Tucson. I usually bike or walk to get around campus. I love walking to class now that the weather is nicer, but sometimes I still bike. Unfortunately I have not exactly had the best luck with my bike. The first week of school I totally ate it in front of a bunch of people. I was trying to be all cool and go up the curb on my bike but, I made the mistake of trying to go up the curb while I was parallel to it (never try that) this obviously did not work out too well and fell off and hit another person on their bike and needless to say…it was embarrassing. To add the the bike drama I have hit couples walking a few times, almost blown over on a really windy day, I always forget where I locked my bike so I spend like 10 min looking like an idiot searching for my bike…ya me and the bike just have problems. Oh and to make matters worse my bike seat got stolen last week, I could not believe it. Who steals a bike seat? So now whenever I leave my bike I take my new bike seat with me because I am so scared that some rude person is going to steal it! How do you get around campus? Do a lot of people have bikes there? Has your bike seat ever gotten stolen?
Well, I hope this kind of gave you an idea about life here in Tucson, Arizona! I really love it here college is so fun, and classes are difficult and I really have to work hard but I still have tons of fun hanging out with friends, playing sports, and living in Tucson!

No comments: