Monday, October 29, 2007

My College Life - Katie Mackenbrock

Hey! My name is Katie Mackenbrock, and I am from Chicago, Illinois. I am 18 and a freshman at the University of Arizona. I chose to attend school so far from home because my dad went here when he was my age, and my older sister is currently a senior here. I love it here. The weather is so different here than in Chicago. If I were in Chicago right now, I would be freezing!! Here in Tucson, the weather is so nice. It is about 75 out right now, and during the days it is high 80s & low 90s. It is always sunny with blue skies. The scenery is beautiful here. From campus, you can look anywhere and see the beautiful mountains in the skyline. I live in the only dorm here that has three roommates to a room. I live all the way up on the 7th floor. The rooms are a lot bigger than I thought they would be. One of my roommates is from New Jersey and the other one is all the way from South Korea. My roommate from New Jersey and I have become really good friends. Our other roommate is kind of mean to us, so there is always awkward tension in our room, which isn't too fun, but I am always so busy with school that it doesn't matter too much. I am taking 5 classes here- english, spanish, and three gen-ed classes. The gen-ed classes are basic general education classes that you have to take to complete your credits. Those are the big lecture classes. I am not too fond of those, because I come from a very small high school. For the most part, though, I love my classes. I am a political science/pre-law major. I want to attend law school after I graduate and eventually work for the CIA. The only downside about living here is the food. Yes, there's lots of food to choose from, but very little of it is healthy. You can only eat so much grilled cheese and chicken fingers. :) When the parents come for family weekend, they take you out to nice dinners so you can eat all the food you've been missing. As much as I miss my parents being this far from home, I love living here. It helps that I get to see my sister almost every day, and because my parents have both of their daughters out here, they come to visit more than most.
I couldn't have chosen a better college for myself. I love it here.

No comments: