Friday, October 12, 2007

Hannah Murray




Hello! My name is Hannah, I am 18 years old and I am originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the United States but decided to go out on my own for college and attend the University of Arizona. It is pretty common to hear of kids moving away from their homes so that they can experience life on their own and help them grow up. So far it has been pretty hard being away from my family and my friends, who are practically like my second family, I miss them a lot.
College life is kinda different from high school life, in a sense that we don’t have to take certain classes “just because” and we can choose what classes we want to take based on our interests in life. Every student has a different schedule mine is: two classes a day except for Friday I only have one, and they are spaced out pretty evenly. I also have job at the food court in the student union (which is like a main building that kids go to meet with certain advisors, go to the bank, get food, the bookstore, etc) The University is very helpful to all of its students. I have always have people to talk to that can help me decide what I want to do with my life and in school. Currently I am a first year freshman that is Undecided, I might be thinking of a Political Science major or a History major with a minor in Photography. I really want to study abroad in Italy, part of my family is from Italy so I always wanted to go “back to my roots.”
Dorm life is pretty much what I expected. There are dozens of different dorms on campus I live in the Cochise Dorm. That looks somewhat like a library at first glance with talk pillars, it actually is the oldest dorm on campus from when it was originally built, and I think that it is really cool. I live with one other person, although I know many people that live with two other people. Our room is pretty spacious compared to others, it has a tall ceiling, big closets, bunk beds (I have top bunk) and two desks (one for me and one for my roommate). My roommate and I get along very well with my roommate so far, but I do know many people that have complete horror stories about their roommate situations. The whole point is to compromise, like don’t have friends over when your other roommate is trying to study, or like don’t stay up all night in the room doing stuff to go somewhere else to do that stuff so your roommate can sleep; things like that are always brought up because when you live with someone else you need to learn how to handle that stuff, it builds your people skills.
A day to day life usually consists of me trying to get my homework done whenever I can, dealing with situations like getting loans to pay for my school because I am one of those students whose parents do not pay for their kids school because we just can’t afford it, and working, and I want to always get my work done so that I don’t stress about having a huge workload after work or on the weekends. I like to go in to Phoenix on the weekends so that I can spend time with my brother and his family before he gets deployed again (he is in the army). On the weekends when I do not go into Phoenix with him I stay here at school and go to parties with my friends. The usual form on transportation around here is by foot, I walk everywhere because most of it is in walking distance and when it isn’t you either walk really far or hitch a ride with someone or a cab. You can usually find a party somewhere every night but the BIG ones are on Thursday nights and on the weekends, mostly held at people’s houses/apartments or in campus fraternities or sororities (they are like “houses” that boys and girls and boys join that I guess could be described as a club that does community service and hold outrageous parties and stuff, I don’t live in a sorority because I had no interest in it at all-so I am sure someone who is actually in one can describe it better than myself Haha).
I like college life a lot, it makes me feel so independent and helps me get ready for the “real world,” what is your school like?

No comments: