Thursday, October 25, 2007

My college life by Sahil Arora







Hello my names Sahil Arora and I think its really cool how you guys are interested in seeing how our lifestyles are, and frankly I don’t blame you. Life here is different from anywhere else in the world, trust me. I was born in the country of Canada but my parents are from India. The most interesting thing about college in America is the lifestyle. Ill take you through my daily life and ill let you decide how different it is from your daily lifestyle. I wake up in my dorm room around 9:15 am because my first class is not till 10 am and the building is in short walking distance. I shower in a community bathroom which is shared by other people from my dorm building, and then get ready (usually without eating breakfast) and rush to class. On my way to class ill usually see thousands of other kids walking around. You’ll also sometimes see people playing sports in the grass area at all times of the day. When I get to class its either a class in which there are 300 students where it’s mainly the teacher just lecturing, or ill get to a smaller class with about 30 students in which all the students are required to participate, ask and answer questions. I have about three classes a day, which have at least an hour break in between them where I usually go home to rest or eat food. When my classes are done, usually around 4 pm, ill grab a bite to eat and go back to my dorm room. My dorm room is a pretty big room. I share the room with another student. Our room has a television, a microwave, a fridge, 2 beds, 2 desks, 2 dressers are three closets (I have included a few pictures so you guys can check it out! Are they bigger than your dorm rooms?). I believe we have an extra closet because originally our rooms were supposed to have three people to a room but we got lucky and only had two kids assigned to our room. I live in a building that is 9 stories high that has both boys and girls, with halls being either all boys, or all girls. This does not stop guys and/or girls from visiting each other, as it happens very often. I usually leave my dorm room after I get home to go to the gym and work out, or hangout with friends (hangout meaning spending time with friends while relaxing and having fun). When my friends and I hangout, we may grab a bite to eat at one of the many local restaurants all in walking distance, or we may go to someone’s dorm or house. There is not much to do in the city of Tucson for fun outside of campus and friends houses. After hanging out, its time to do homework. College students have plenty of homework from all their classes and must devote plenty of their night to completing their homework. Homework may take a short amount of time on rare lucky days, or a majority of the day, which requires you to sit at your desk and work. After the long strenuous week, it is finally time for some weekend fun. Weekends in colleges are very crazy. There are hundreds of parties going on and nearly 100% of them have alcohol in which kids get drunk and go crazy. Drinking in American colleges is an activity where most of the college kids take apart in during the weekends. Parties mostly happen on Fridays, Saturdays, some on Thursdays and a few scattered throughout the week. Saturday is the big day where kids can wake up late and stay up late to party. On some Saturdays, there are football games played on campus by the universities football team against other universities. We take these games seriously. Unfortunately, our team is not very good, but we still support them. Football games are usually Saturday nights, followed by many parties. Sunday is the time where students recover from the crazy weekends and do homework. Sundays can be relaxing days if students have moderate homework assignments due, or they can be stressful with a lot of work to do. When Monday comes around the whole week starts over again. This may sound repetitive, but everyday brings a new journey and a challenge. College life is very different from the normal life and a lot of fun. You guys should come check it out one time!

No comments: