Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Macedonian in Tucson:)

Hi, my name is Ivana Cardieri and I’m a junior at the University of Arizona. I transferred from my school in Macedonia and I’ve been living here in Tucson for 8months and I like it A LOT:)

As far as school goes, it is different than education in Europe. It is very dynamic and the professors are very collaborative and opened for communication. We all know that for a non-native English speaker is very important to have that understanding from the professors. Being involved in the educational system here in Tucson, Arizona is a challenge that I’ve happily embraced.

So, people are friendly and helpful, even thought nightlife in Tucson is a little bit boring:) You know, in the USA the legal age to go to bars is 21. But hey, don’t think that kids don’t party here. There are a lot of house parties, and I personally don’t see what the fuss is all about…. I’m 21 and can go anywhere I want- there are couple of cool European style clubs in town!

Now I will tell you something about my country;
Macedonia is a beautiful, small country located on the Balkans and it is the country of Alexander the Great (in translation Alexander Macedon)
Our national jewel is Lake Ohrid, that was formed between four to ten million years ago, is Europe's oldest lake, and is amongst the oldest in the world. It lies in the valley between Ohrid and Struga, in the border region between Macedonia and Albania. It is filled with exotic fish and the best-known Ohritska pastramka.
My people are well known for their hospitality and all the traditional food that you can’t find anywhere else in the world.
Moving away form home is really hard, because my entire family is still there. But being here is not so bad. In the last couple of months, here at the University I’ve met so many people from different ethnicities. It is exiting to be surrounded with so many cultures and languages.
I like this college life a lot, because it gives me feeling of independence and prepares me for everything that awaits me in the future:)
Hey I would love to know what is your life in general like and what is your school life like?

Hope you are safe!
Your friend,
Ivana C.

No comments: